Hi Guys! First blog post here and what a way to go for a grand entrance! I saw Chris from the BA test kitchen do the ultimate chocolate chip cookies and thought why the hell shouldn’t I try and make this vegan and keto. There are some amazing people doing keto recipes but it’s really difficult to find some real treat worthy keto things that are also vegan. So with that, here we go!
Nutritional Information now added! (sorry it’s in the canadian way but only way to add sugar alcohols)
Vegan keto chocolate chip cookies
Gia Macaroni | 12/06/19
- prep time: 20 minutes
- cook time: 15-20 minutes
- total time: 40 minutes plus cooling
- 1½ cups (140g) almond flour
- 1/8 cup (20g) coconut flour
- 1¼ tsp. (4 g) Diamond Crystal or ¾ tsp. (2 g) Morton kosher salt
- ¾ tsp. (4 g) baking soda
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks; 169 g) unsalted vegan butter, divided or salted but omit the extra salt (could also do coconut butter or 113g coconut oil and 56g smooth or crunchy peanut butter for pb chocolate cookies
- 1 cup (200 g) (packed) dark brown erythritol (normal granulated will do)
- ¼ cup (50 g) powdered erythritol
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 1 tsp egg replacer of choice (for binding) optional
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 oz. (170 g) bittersweet chocolate (60%–70% cacao), coarsely chopped, or semisweet chocolate chips - Lily’s would work or carbzone if you’re in the uk
- 1tbsp pecans/hazelnuts (blitzed in food processor) *optional but helps with nuttiness of traditional browned butter
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum
** note with the butter, if not vegan. Brown butter as usual or add the pecans if you enjoy
** if not vegan also feel free to sub the silken tofu with one egg and two egg yolks
Mine cooked in 12-15 mins, I like mine chewy in the centre and slightly undercooked
You want a nice browning around the edges
Double chocolate - add 60g cocoa powder and minus a tbsp almond flour
- Preheat oven to 180 C or 360 F. Brown the butter in a pan on a medium heat or if using vegan butter just melt.
- Add remaining butter to the pan when browned butter has cooled for a little.
- Add sugar alternative and vanilla and cream together with an electric whisk until completely combined. Add the silken tofu and cream again.
- Add almond and coconut flour and mix
- Chop the chocolate and add to the mix, leave the mixture to rest for 10 mins
- Line a baking sheet with parchment
- Scoop mixture using a cookie spoon or roll into small balls.
- Bake for 12-20 minutes, depends on oven and how you like your cookies. More on the cookie dough side, 15 mins max. They may look undercooked in the centre but they will set when cooling.
Nutrition:Serving: 1 cookie Fat: 12g Calories: 140 Net carbs: 2 -3 g depending on chocolate used (I used Lily‘s baking chips)
Troubleshooting before baking:
Dough should be like regular cookie dough after resting
too oily, increase coconut flour by up to extra 25g
too dry, add a little water or non dairy milk